HIPAA NOW: THE NEW HIPAA DEADLINE IS SEPTEMBER 23, 2013 !
NEW YORK REGIONAL SOCIETY OF PLASTIC SURGERY MEMBERS, HERE’S THE INFORMATION YOU NEED
Attached, is the new information booklet, “HIPAA NOW.” It tells you everything you need to know, to take two steps:
Step One: By September 23, 2013, you need to change your HIPAA documents. The booklet tells you where to obtain models for:
- Your new Notice of Privacy Practices.
- Your new Business Associate Agreement.
- You’ll need four different Information Release Authorization Forms – not just one general form.
Step Two: You need to update your HIPAA knowledge and procedures, regarding…
- Proper use of the Information Release Authorization forms, including the additional forms.
- Patients’ new rights to access their information and control its use.
- New steps to safeguard electronic data, including encryption (an important legal “safe harbor”).
- New steps to help prevent data security breaches. (The definition of “breach” has changed.)
- New steps to deal with a breach, if one occurs. (Reporting and notification rules are tighter.)
- Re-thinking your “business associates” list per the new definition.
- Gearing up to have your business associates sign new Business Associate Agreements.
- And more…
HIPAA NOW: New Requirements, New Deadline - September 23, 2013 Copyright © 2013 by The New York County Medical Society. This booklet is reproduced by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons with the permission of the New York County Medical Society.